Blog Discontinued

PLEASE NOTE: This blog has been discontinued. Please visit my main blog at: http://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/

About Me

My photo
E-mail contact: randonneur8@yahoo.com | Facebook: facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH
Search My Blog

Search This Blog

Blog Archive for "2 SMALL 2B BIG"
(Click HERE)

02 February 2013

Two Small Hikes in the area of Randolph, NH


Even if added together, these two small hikes probably wouldn't qualify for a big hike!  Therefore, these little guys are being added to the collection of hikes in my "2 Small 2B Big" blog.

Part 1: Hike along the Brookbank Trail:

This small hike (about 1.5 miles round trip) occurred almost entirely in the area designated as the Snyder Brook Scenic area (see center portion of map shown below). 
Map showing area where this small hike occurred
The Snyder Brook Scenic Area is one of ten designated Scenic Areas within the White Mountain National Forest (WMNF).  The formal announcement of these special areas occurred during the celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Weeks Act, On Oct.6, 1961.   David Govatski has written a terrific article about these Scenic Areas which can be read at the WhiteMountainHistory.org website (click HERE).

I launched my trek from the Appalachia trailhead.  The Fallsway was hiked a short distance to the Presidential Rail Trail which was hiked eastward to pick up the Brookbank trail.  At the point where the Brookbank trail ends (just above Tama Fall), I had thoughts of doing a loop by crossing Snyder Brook and then heading southward on the Fallsway trail.  However, as I sort of suspected, the crossing was not doable (as least not for me) on this particular day.  And so, I turned around and descended via the same route as was used for my ascent.

Shown below are two photos.  The first one shows the crossing of Snyder Brook at end of the Brookbank trail (just above Tama Fall).  And the second photo shows where you might end up if you slip and fall while trying to negotiate the brook crossing!!
Crossing of Snyder Brook at end of Brookbank trail (just above Tama Fall)
Where you might end up if you slip and fall while trying to negotiate the brook crossing!
This is a great little hike at any season of the year.  On this winter trek, I particularly enjoyed the scenic beauty of Gordon Fall and Tama Fall which were all decked out in their winter garb.


In addition to the splendor of  the waterfalls, I was fascinated by seeing the handiwork of what I presume to be a Pileated Woodpecker who had pecked two huge holes into a tree.
The handiwork of what I presume to be Pileated Woodpecker

Part 2:  Hike from end of Jimtown Road to Peboamauk Fall

This small hike (about 2.4 miles round trip) was done on public land in what is known as the Paul T. Doherty Memorial Forest.  My goals for this small adventure were as follows.  I wanted to determine if this area was accessible during wintertime conditions. And if so, then I wanted to discover if it was possible to do a winter hike along a pathway that I had explored during this past summer. (Especially since it appeared to have possibilities as a launch point for off-trail explorations and/or for XC-skiing.)

My trek was launched from the end of Jimtown Road.  Shown on the map presented below is an approximation of the route that I followed.  The corridor used for this hike might have been what was once called the Bog Dam Trail which is described in older versions of the White Mountain Guide.   However, I'm uncertain if that is true.  Perhaps a reader can confirm or refute this.
Map showing area where this small hike occurred, and a general idea of the route taken
Upon arrival at the end of Jimtown Road, I was delighted to discover that the town had plowed out a spot for wintertime parking.  This plowed spot is less than a tenth of a mile from the point where the unnamed trail begins from the edge of a parking lot that's available for summertime use.
Plowed roadside parking at edge of Paul T. Doherty Memorial Forest on Jimtown Road
When I explored this trail during the summer, a few rather large boggy areas were encountered.  As one might suspect, wintertime is definitely the preferred time for travel on this trail when Mother Nature hardens these boggy areas with ice and covers them with snow!

Although this pathway is unmarked with blazing or signage, it is easy to follow at any season of the year.  It appears to receive some light maintenance (perhaps by local residents of this area).
Typical segment of the corridor for the unmarked/unnamed trail
Along the way, there is ample evidence that this was once an official trail of some sort.  There is one prominent bridge, as shown in the next photo.
Bridge along the unmarked/unnamed trail
This unmarked/unnamed trail ends at the junction of the Ice Gulch Path and Peboamauk Loop.  Shown below is the first trail sign you see.
First trail sign seen when you come to end of the unmarked/unnamed trail
At this junction, I took the Peboamauk Loop down to Peboamauk Fall.  Unlike the two waterfalls seen at the Snyder Brook Scenic Area, this one was a bit lackluster.  It was mostly frozen, plus this waterfall is prone to fallen trees marring its view.  This summer, Peboamauk Fall looked the best I'd ever seen it.  But a mishmash of trees have once again have invaded this space.  Shown below is my summertime view versus what I experienced on my winter hike.
Peboamauk Fall: Comparing view of Summer 2012 to Winter 2013
Just as a side note to this small adventure, I was quite surprised when I met another hiker while traveling this unmarked/unnamed trail.  He was very cordial and even provided some ideas for other adventures in the Paul T. Doherty Memorial Forest.

Almost the end:

In addition to enjoying these two small adventures, I also experienced a nice sunset while driving home. But, in keeping with the spirit of "smallness", the brilliant colors of this sunset didn't last long!
Sunset seen while driving home
 THE END.

4 comments:

  1. Next time you visit take a look immediately to the right of the Paul Doherty sign and you may see tracks heading in. Lindsay and I call this "The Middle Trail" and it can be difficult to follow in the winter if not tracked out. This is a wonderful loop trail (http://wildernesswebb.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/come-for-a-hike-with-us/) that comes out onto the old Bog Dam Trail (aka Gorham old-timers "the trail to Hunters Pass") a little ways up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great tip about the “Middle Trail” and how it can be combined with the old Bog Dam Trail to do a loop. Also, thank you for the link to your February 2012 blog posting with the terrific video clips. I simply must get back over there to do some XC-skiing!

      And last but not least, that old Bog Dam Trail is a real gem! I first learned about it from one of your Blog postings. I’ve hiked it now in both summer and winter conditions. As indicated in this Blog report, I prefer winter conditions when all the boggy areas higher up on the trail are frozen over.

      John

      Delete
  2. These are two great little hikes, John. I cringed when I saw the rushing, icy water along the Brookbank Trail—not sure I would have wanted to attempt that crossing either!
    I love the woodpecker holes, they are huge! If it is indeed a Pileated woodpecker who made those holes it would be worth going back in the spring to try to locate this elusive and beautiful bird.

    Thanks for these short hike reports, John. I just realized that I've been missing a few of your blog posts because I'm not a member of this site and so the reports aren't showing up on the "My Blogs" section of my blog! I didn't see the tab to click to become a member of your new site. Do you know where it is? Thanks! (Maybe I'll just subscribe by email instead.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rita,

      Thanks for responding to my “2 Small 2B Big” blog! This blog which highlights smaller hikes is getting off to a rocky start, but I’ve not given up on it yet! :-)

      Regarding a tab to click for becoming a member of my new blog, I must admit to being flummoxed about how to do this. Although I’m not completely certain about this, I think Blogger has changed things such that the former “widget” for this is no longer available. Anyway, I’ve added a “widget” near the top of my new Blog that allows readers to subscribe via RSS feeds. Also, I think if you add my new Blog to your Reading List, then that will enable new postings to show up in the more traditional manner.

      John

      Delete