Blog Discontinued

PLEASE NOTE: This blog has been discontinued. Please visit my main blog at: http://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/

About Me

My photo
E-mail contact: randonneur8@yahoo.com | Facebook: facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH
Search My Blog

Search This Blog

Blog Archive for "2 SMALL 2B BIG"
(Click HERE)

08 February 2013

A Short Hike at Pondicherry Wildlife Refuge (Jefferson, NH)


Already this winter I've made several visits to the Pondicherry Division of the Silvio O. Conte National Fish andWildlife Refuge.  But in-keeping with my goal of trying to introduce some new element into each of my adventures, I launched my hike from a trail that was new to me.  More details about this trail will be provided at the end of my report.

During the winter months, I try to avoid hiking on the Presidential Rail Trail since it becomes a snowmobile route.   I have no complaint whatsoever about those who enjoy this activity.  I simply prefer to hike the trail when I don't have to endure the noise and fumes from their machines!

On the day of my hike (07-Feb-2013), there was no concern about snowmobiles since recent weather conditions had opened up huge patches of bare earth along the Rail Trail.
Huge patches of bare earth along the Rail Trail
Snow was so lacking on the day of my visit that I even saw evidence that someone had recently been riding a bicycle on the trail.
Bicycle tracks in the scant layer of snow
At another point along my route, I saw evidence that folks had been skiing and walking out onto frozen surface of Cherry Pond (see lower left side of next photo).
Evidence of boot and ski traffic onto frozen Cherry Pond (lower left of photo) 
There is an abundance of beautiful views from the shoreline of Cherry Pond.  Just as one example, there is a particularly picturesque spot where the Johns River originates as an outflow from Cherry Pond.
The spot where the Johns River begins
The Moorhen Marsh area of Pondicherry also provides some magnificent views, such as the vista of Mt. Starr-King and Mt. Waumbek in the Pliny Range.
The Pliny Range as viewed from Moorhen Marsh area of Pondicherry
And each time I see them, I'm amazed that a few of the old telegraph (yes, telegraph) poles can still be seen along the Presidential Rail Trail.
Old telegraph pole along the Presidential Rail Trail
Another snapshot that might be of interest is a zoomed view of Mt. Washington.  The top of the Great Gulf can also be seen below Mt. Washington off to the left side of the photo.
Zoomed view of summit area of Mt. Washington from Moorhen Marsh area of Pondicherry
Also along my route of travel was the Tudor Richards viewing platform.  Near to it is a boulder with a plaque which reads, "This viewing platform is dedicated to Tudor Richards whose vision helped create the Pondicherry Wildlife Refuge."
Tudor Richards viewing platform at Pondicherry
Okay, at the beginning of this report I stated that I would provide details about the trail that was used to launch my hike to Pondicherry.  David Govatski (President, Friends of Pondicherry) recently made me aware of work that is being done to develop a re-route for the Slide Brook Trail.   The total distance for  this trail is only about 0.6 mile.

The original corridor was severely damaged by flooding and has been closed for several years.   Thanks to the efforts of David and many others, the re-routed trail is scheduled to be opened later in 2013.  The trail still needs several bog bridges, as well as signage and blazing.  I was invited to try out the trail in its current condition.

On the day of my hike, I was fortunate to be able to access the Owl's Head Trail parking lot which is often inaccessible during winter months.  This enabled me to walk eastward on Rt. 115 for a few hundred feet and then leave the north side of the road at an open field to begin my trek.

Even in its unfinished condition, I found the Slide Brook Trail relatively easy to follow.  The only part that was somewhat sketchy was at a large meadow located about 0.1 mile from Rt. 115.  From information provided by David, I knew that the trail continued through the meadow into the woods at the other end.  However, I was uncertain about the trail's route through the meadow.
 
Since doing the hike, I've learned from David that the trail's exact route through the meadow is still undecided.  However, it will likely follow a pathway along the edge of the woods, as is depicted by the purple line shown in the next photo.
Possible route of Slide Brook Trail through a large meadow
Once the meadow has been traversed, then you enter the woods.  The next photo shows the point of entry into the woods.
Entry point into woods at far end of meadow
Upon entering the woods, the trail's corridor is currently flagged with tape.
Flagging along the Slide Brook Trail corridor
Within a very short distance after entering the woods, you arrive at a beaver pond.  At this point, the trail's corridor traverses the top of the beaver dam for a distance of nearly 400 feet.  The beaver dam traverse is highlighted by a purple line in the next photo.
Slide Brook Trail's beaver dam traverse (highlighted by purple line)
After completing the beaver dam traverse, the next major landmark that you encounter is a power line corridor.  When looking across the corridor, you can see the bridge along the Presidential Rail Trail that spans Slide Brook (next photo).
Presidential Rail Trail bridge that spans Slide Brook, as viewed from the power line corridor
Once you cross to the far side of the power line corridor, you see the Cohos Trail signage, and you are just a few steps away from the Rail Trail (next photo).
Cohos Trail signage just before the junction with the Presidential Rail Trail
Once you're on the Presidential Rail Trail, it's about a 1.5 mile westward trek on nearly level ground to the Moorhen Marsh area of Pondicherry.  Even if you go no further than this, you will get some fabulous views on a clear day.  By venturing about another 0.3 mile westward, you will be able to enjoy the views from the Tudor Richards viewing platform.  If you add on another 0.2 mile, then you can experience the viewpoints from the western shoreline of Cherry Pond.
 
The Slide Brook Trail will be useful to those hiking the Cohos Trail since it will eliminate a road walk on Rt. 115 and Rt. 115A.  And, when the Owl's Head parking lot isn't snowed in, it will also provide the casual hiker with another access route to Pondicherry.

If the Owl's Head parking lot is inaccessible, then another nearby option is to park on the shoulder of the road where the Presidential Rail Trail crosses over Rt. 115A.  There is often enough room for 1 or 2 cars to park at that location.  From there, you can hike westward on the Rail Trail to the Moorhen Marsh and Cherry Pond.  And, along the way, you'll pass by the northern end of the Slide Brook Trail.

To wrap things up, perhaps the map shown below will help pull everything together.  Since the re-route of the Slide Brook Trail is still a work in progress, I've only shown it as a dotted line with an "X" at either end of the corridor. (Click on map to enlarge it.)
Map showing Pondicherry area
~ THE END ~

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ADDENDUM (added April 2014):  Subsequent to the writing of this report, the Slide Brook Trail is now a reality.  Signage has been installed, and it's a fully functional trail.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

ADDITIONAL REPORTS ABOUT HIKING AT PONDICHERRY:

_ Click HERE for a report written about my recent experience on another new trail at Pondicherry that is projected to be opened in late 2013.

_ Click HERE for a report written by another author who did a loop hike at Pondicherry. 

2 comments:

  1. I love Pondicherry and wish I could get to it more often. The birdwatching - or more precisely the bird-listening - is extraordinary. It always amazes me to be in such a dead-flat spot so close to the Presidentials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen,

      My apologies for being a bit late in responding to your comments. During the beautiful Autumn months, I spend less time at my computer and more time outdoors.

      Anyway, you are so right about the terrific birding conditions at Pondicherry. And then of course there are all those stunning mountain views at that location. It’s quite a place!

      And by the way, your Blog (http://granitestatewalker.wordpress.com/) is super. You post visits to interesting places that I’ve yet to visit. It’s a good resource, and delightful to read.

      John

      Delete