Blog Discontinued

PLEASE NOTE: This blog has been discontinued. Please visit my main blog at: http://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/

About Me

My photo
E-mail contact: randonneur8@yahoo.com | Facebook: facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH
Search My Blog

Search This Blog

Blog Archive for "2 SMALL 2B BIG"
(Click HERE)

14 March 2013

Sights I Saw: Wildlife Pond (off Zealand Rd) and Upper Ammonoosuc Falls


On 13-March-2013, I drove a short distance down Base Station Road to take a quick peek at the Ammonoosuc River and the spot referred to as Upper Ammonoosuc Falls, or simply Upper Falls.  It's not really a hike.  You just park at a wide spot in the road and walk a short distance to the viewing area.

Following that short foray, I drove to the winter parking lot used to for hikers who want to hike various trails off the Zealand Road which is closed to vehicular traffic in winter months.  From the parking lot, I walked about 1.2 miles to the point where the Corridor 11 snowmobile trail intersects Zealand Road (about 75 ft north of the trailhead for the Sugarloaf Trail).  I then walked eastward on the snowmobile trail for about 0.1 mile and then turned right (southward) at the signed junction for the trail to Wildlife Pond.  The trail to the shoreline of the pond is only about 0.1 mile long.  It often has some wet/boggy spots to negotiate.

The composite photo shown below will serve to encapsulate the sights that I saw on this day in late winter of 2013 (click to enlarge).

The map shown below has two pink dots which serve to indicate the general area where the above photos were taken (click to enlarge).

~ THE END ~

2 comments:

  1. Wow John, I love these photos from this late-winter hike!

    The reflection of winter woods in the water drop is superb.
    I know you wrote about your camera in a previous post but... what type of camera is it again? I think I might have to buy one for myself!

    Sounds like this was a great little mid-week trek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita . . . thank you ever so much for your kind words about my little mid-week trek! I really enjoy getting out for a few hours to do something like this, and then have the rest of the day free to do other things.

      Regarding my camera, it is a Casio (Model EX-H5). It has been discontinued. I might have bought the last new one a few months ago! Since I’m so happy with this little “Point and Shoot”, I decided to buy a spare since the price is only $97. However, when searching the Internet, I found only one retailer who had one new camera left in stock. And so, I bought it!

      Obviously, there are better cameras that take better photos. However, this particular camera is a good match for my type of hiking. I like a camera that is small enough to fit in my pocket, and that I can whip out and shoot a scene without fussing with settings, changing lenses, etc, etc.

      John

      Delete