Blog Discontinued

PLEASE NOTE: This blog has been discontinued. Please visit my main blog at: http://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/

About Me

My photo
E-mail contact: randonneur8@yahoo.com | Facebook: facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH
Search My Blog

Search This Blog

Blog Archive for "2 SMALL 2B BIG"
(Click HERE)

19 April 2013

A Short Meandering Hike in the Vicinity of the Davis Path


A few days ago, I had the urge to hike just for the sake of hiking.  The objective was merely to meander with no particular destination in mind.  The only criteria for this adventure was that it would involve something related to the Springtime season which is just beginning here in northern New Hampshire.

From previous spring seasons, I recalled doing some pleasant off-trail trekking in the vicinity of the Davis Path.  Since the trail faces southwesterly, the snow tends to melt a bit sooner, and water in the nearby brooks begin to flow with some vigor.  This seemed like it would be a good location to launch a meandering Springtime journey.  And so, off I went!

For the first 20 minutes or so, I hiked on the Davis Path itself.  I briefly toyed with the idea of continuing on this trail to the top of Mt. Crawford.  However, it quickly lost its appeal since it really didn't fit the theme that I had in mind for this particular day.  So, I headed westward off the trail to reach an unnamed brook which only flows on a seasonal basis.  As luck would have it, there were several cascades at the point where I intersected the brook.  Shown below is one of the more picturesque cascades that I saw.
Picturesque cascade along an unnamed brook located west of the Davis Path
To comfortably walk in the vicinity of the brook, I stopped to put on my Microspikes since there were some icy patches here and there.  When putting my foot up onto a rock to adjust my footwear, it was comical to see a "shadowy friend" mimic every move I made.  I took a snapshot of my shadow's foot “touching” my foot.  It's one of those things where you had to be there in order to appreciate the humor of the situation.
Me and my shadow
After sauntering along the brook for a while, I eventually made my way back to the Davis Path and headed in the direction of the trailhead.  However, before reaching trailhead, I decided to head northward off the trail to roam along the east bank of the Saco River.  Although the majority of the shoreline is on public land within the White Mountain National Forest, there is one small segment that is on private land.  However, the landowner kindly allows public use of this land, except from April 20 through May 1.  (I don't know what significance those dates have.  I'm not a fisherman, but as far as I know, it doesn't seem to correlate to a particular fishing season.)
Sign posted at both ends of short segment of private land along east bank of Saco River
The next two snapshots show typical scenes while wandering along the east bank of the Saco.
Looking southward down the Saco River
Looking northward up the Saco River
So, that's the story of one of my Springtime meanderings.  I roughly guesstimate that then entire round-trip journey was less than 4 miles.  Although the distance was short, the enjoyment was BIG!

I'm uncertain if doing this type of meandering hike with no destination in mind is an acquired taste, or just one of my personal quirks.  Regardless, for anyone who has yet to experience this type of hiking adventure, I would encourage you to at least give it a try.  There will be times when you see nothing of significance, and other times when you see things that are a total surprise.  For me, part of the appeal is related to the uncertainty about what will be found.  Perhaps many readers will recall the line from the Forest Gump movie, i.e. “Life is like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get!” :-)

~ THE END ~

No comments:

Post a Comment